3-DAY / 2-NIGHT HIKING EXPEDITION
FRIDAY 13TH - SUNDAY 15TH MAY 2016
SNOWDONIA, NORTH WALES
A 3-day / 2-night expedition across the mountains of north wales including one wild camp. Excellent training for DofE expeditions.
Meet outside 1st Worcester Scout HQ (St. Peters) at 7:00 am on Friday 13th May to depart for Snowdonia. Cars may be left here over the weekend then we will travel in as few cars as possible.
FRIDAY: Park cars at Lake Ogwen, Snowdonia (grid ref supplied by Cam March) to begin two days of hiking. Route passes Tryfan and the Gylders to arrive at our wild camp site on Friday evening (route planned by Cam March). Set up camp and eat evening meal. There may be opportunity for refining the planned route of the next day.
SATURDAY: Leave wild camp site and continue the planned route to arrive back at cars on Saturday afternoon. Drive to the Bunk Barns in Capel Curig for Saturday evening accommodation. Evening meal at local restaurant / pub in Capel Curig. Plan the route for Sunday (opportunity to work towards the Hiking badge).
SUNDAY: Complete the planned circular route. Return to Worcester to arrive back before 6:00pm.
There will be opportunity by all to navigate at least 1 leg of the planned 3 day route.
Cost to cover transport (£10 each based on 3 sharing a car), £10 each for Saturday evening bunk barns, plus your Saturday evening meal ... totalling about £30-35 - please bring with you! There may be additional costs for your own personal provisions (see What Do I Need).
WHAT DO I NEED?
You essentially need to pack as if you are doing an expedition involving a wild camp.
- Personal experience of hiking in mountains or tall hills (e.g. Long Mynd / Dartmoor) - this is not the event for someone new to hiking.
- Personal equipment for hiking in hills / mountains (spring / summer conditions). I.e. shorts, tshirts, trousers, warm layers, waterproofs, boots that cover ankles, suncream. Please bring warm clothing e.g. trousers / warm layers even if it is forecast to be hot as it may be cold high up in the mountains.
- Clothing to change into in the evening.
- Small tent (we can discuss sharing and splitting tents across rucksacks once know final numbers)
- 2/3 season sleeping bag.
- Food (and water) for 3 days (Fri lunch, Fri dinner, Sat breakfast, Sat lunch, !NOT Sat dinner!, Sun breakfast, Sun lunch + hiking snacks) and your own equipment to cook/heat your Friday dinner. There will be opportunity to refill water on Saturday evening, so you only need to start out with water for 2 days.
- Emergency snacks.
- First aid kit.
- The above all packed into a rucksack that you are capable of carrying for 3 days.
This expedition counts towards much of the Network hiking award, details here: https://www.ukscoutnetwork.org.uk/networks/england/west-midlands/hereford-worcester/worcester/projects/hiking-badge-2016 . It can also count as training towards DofE expeditions.