'A microadventure is an adventure that is short, simple, local, cheap – yet still fun, exciting, challenging, refreshing and rewarding.' - Alastair Humphreys.
You may have heard of Alastair Humphreys and his Microadventure Challenge in 2015? (If not his website and book are well worth a read - click here). Some of us in the UK Scout Network (UKSN) have done a few microadventures so far, and have got a quite few more ideas ready to go, so we thought why not make a UKSN Year of Adventure Challenge. We contacted Alastair and asked if we could borrow his idea and tweak it to suit Network.
So how do you take part and earn the Year of Adventure Badges?
- Join the project now! (Do this before joining the events!)
- Declare your intention to take part by posting the Year of Adventure calendar (downloadable here) on social media and include #NetworkYoA
- Encourage as many other Network members to join - adventure is more fun in groups!
- Join the monthly events, share your adventure stories and earn the monthly badges.
- Take part in 6 or more to earn the Year of Adventure badge.
- Take part in all 12 to earn a special Year of Adventure Badge!!
You can also work towards the Scouts Cymru Dragon Award - full details can be found here.